Rorate Caeli

Ecce ego mittam Angelum meum qui præcedat te


"Angelis suis Deus mandavit de te, ut custodiant te in omnibus viis tuis." (From the Gradual for the Feast of the Holy Guardian Angels, Psalm xc, 11: "God hath given His angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.")

Saint Bernard says there are three ways by which we ought to honor our guardian angels: "by reverence, by devotion, and by confidence."

By reverence, because these holy spirits and princes of heaven are always present with us, and assist us in all our actions. And on this account, out of regard to our guardian angels, we ought carefully to refrain from every action which can displease them. Saint Frances of Rome, widow, saw that the angel who attended her in a human form, every time that he observed any improper action or word in any one in conversation, covered his face with his hands.

[Prayer:] O my holy guardian angel, how many times have I by my sins obliged you to cover your face! I ask your forgiveness, and I beseech you to implore forgiveness for me from God, for I am resolved to offend neither God nor you any more by my negligences.

In the second place, we ought to honor our good angels by devotion to them, on account of the respect which they deserve, and the love which they have for us.

No love of father, brother or friend, can equal the love which our good angels have for each one of us. Our worldly friends often love us from motives of interest, and on this account very easily forget us when we are in adversity, and much more when we offend them. Our angel guardians love us solely from motives of charity, and hence when we are in difficulties they assist us more particularly, and cease not to help us after we have rebelled against God. Then will they endeavor to enlighten us, in order that we may soon return to God by repentance.

[Prayer:] O, how much do I thank you, my holy guardian, for the lights which you have communicated to me. Oh that I had always obeyed you! Continue to enlighten me, rebuke me when I fail, and do not forsake me unto the last moment of my life.

In the third place, we ought to have great confidence in the assistance of our good angels.

God's love for us was not satisfied with giving us his Son Jesus for our Redeemer, and Mary for our Advocate; he has been pleased to give us also his angels to be our guardians, and has commanded them to assist us during the course of our lives: "He hath given his angels charge over thee: to keep thee in all thy ways" [Psalm xc, 11].

[Prayer:] O God of infinite mercy, what more canst thou do for me that I may be saved? I thank thee, O my Lord; and I thank you also, O prince of paradise, my good angel, who for so many years have assisted and protected me. I have been unmindful of you, but you have not forgotten me. Who knows how much farther I may have to go before I enter eternity? O my good angel, guide me in the way to heaven, and cease not to assist me, until you behold me become your eternal companion in the kingdom of heaven!
Saint Alphonsus Liguori
Via della salute

_______________________
Recess for four days.
Relevant news may be posted at any time.
Angele Dei, qui custos es mei, me, tibi commissum pietate superna, illumina, custodi, rege et guberna. Amen.