Rorate Caeli

Yes, Kasper did give the interview with racist remarks on Africa and Africans - and here is the audio to prove it

For some reason, Zenit removed the text of the interview by Walter Kasper, filled with Anti-African, xenophobic, and racist comments. The interviewer, Edward Pentin, made public the following statement:

In response to a statement from His Eminence Cardinal Kasper denying giving the interview that appeared in ZENIT Wednesday 15th October, I issue the following response:

His Eminence Cardinal Walter Kasper spoke to me and two other journalists, one British, the other French, around 7.15pm on Tuesday as he left the Synod hall.

I transcribed the recording of our conversation, and my iPhone on which I recorded the exchange was visible. I introduced myself as a journalist with the [National Catholic] Register, and the others also introduced themselves as journalists. I therefore figured the interview was on the record and His Eminence appeared happy to talk with us. In the end, I posted the full interview in ZENIT rather than the Register. ZENIT removed the article on Thursday in response to Cardinal Kasper’s denial.

His Eminence made no comment about not wanting his remarks published. It depends on the context, but normally in such a situation, comments are considered on the record unless otherwise requested.

The recording can be downloaded below. A couple of the questions came from the other two journalists and I included them as part of the interview. Some of the quality of the English has also been improved for publication.


If there was a misunderstanding, I apologise, but I stand by the interview that was published as a correct account of the exchange.

The statement and the audio are available at Pentin's personal page.

The only ones to leave this sorry event stained are the Zenit editors, who had the obligation to stand on the side of information, since the Catholics of an entire continent are surely more relevant than the whim of one cardinal, the ignominious Kasper, before whom they folded. Kasper's treatment of Zenit and Pentin was just as "merciful" as his words for Africa and Africans, and his regard for Catholic dogma.

God and Our Lady, deliver us from Kasper's mercy!